Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Vienna - with DH

Vienna - the last place DH and I visited together before DH returned home. My adventures continued but that's a blog entry for another day.

A scene from the train on the way to Vienna from Salzburg – not bad for a point-and-shoot camera.



We saw so much, yet only a very small portion of Vienna. We viewed a small portion of the riches of the Hapsburgs…





including the largest emerald in the world.



As always, anything to do with sheep caught my attention and I learned about the Order of the Golden Fleece.





The Hapsburg Treasury includes coronation and liturgical clothing. I was amazed at the artistry of the embroidery on the cappa or pluviale (which is basically a liturgical mantle). Look at the detail picture - all embroidery - and nearly three dimensional.





We toured a small part of the vast Schönbrunn Palace. They don't allow you to take pictures inside the palace. I'm not sure whether this is because they want you to buy their gift shop merchandise or mainly to keep the crowds moving through the palace.





This is a typical lunch - similar to smoked sausage with cheddar. It was obvious (in more ways than one) I was a tourist because I requested ketchup instead of mustard.



There were sausage stands like this in every city we visited. It was a great way to have a cheap yet filling lunch, although one begins to miss one's vegetables.



The opulence of the Vienna State Opera House is not to be missed.







Our time together in Vienna ended all too soon. I accompanied DH to the airport on the morning he left. We wouldn't see each other again until I returned home 6 weeks later.

Naturally, I sought solace at the yarn shops in Vienna. More to come...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and more, and more, I hope. The absence of a DH requires a lot of solacing, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Goody, now we finally get to the yarn stuff!

Anonymous said...

So Where are you at the present time? I hope your adventures are still continuing. Thanks to Maureen saw you on someone's web site. Hope you bought a lot as Euros are not real money.

Sue