Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Insert Witty French Phrase Here




A few weeks ago, some friends and I took a road trip to Milwaukee. The five of us first went to Bastille Days which, in my opinion, was a bit disappointing. The strolling minstrels and street performers were a bit creepy;

(this was one exception)


the vendors, for the most part, were all offering the same types of goods (tie-dyed clothes, bags, jewelry); and there was very little French cuisine available from food vendors. There was one crepes stand and that was about it for "authentic" cuisine.

When the French eat cheese, I don't think it's in this form -



We took a whirl around the festival, shopped a tiny bit, then on our way back to the car, investigated a place that we noticed on our way to the festival - the Grohmann Museum at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.

This place is a hidden gem!! I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it before.

What caught our attention when we were passing by were statues on the top of the building, which turned out to be the rooftop sculpture garden.

Admission was only $5 and we spent nearly 3 hours exploring the collections.



The collections are based on the theme of Man At Work. They even had fiber-related work covered.









Even the mosaic floor of the entrance has fiber-related art.



One area of the museum focuses on the steel works that were once in Milwaukee. In that collection, this stove in particular caught my eye.

Oh, to have a stove that looks like a cathedral.








5 comments:

Sue said...

Bastille days in Milwaukee has never been much but the meuseum is a new one on me as well. Happy birthday a bit late...July 18th.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Yikes I do not know how to spell.

Grohmann Museum said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Grohmann Museum! If you happen to be in Milwaukee again on Oct. 1, please come back for our Lost Arts festival. Eight artisans will be demonstrating their craft. We’ll have a lace maker and someone demonstrating spinning, knitting and crocheting, as well as a potter, blacksmith, painter, wooden shoe carvers, glass artist and home-brewer.

-va- said...

Good morning! What, in Milwaukee and no meet up?! HA!!! Yup, thumbs down to Bastille and TWO thumbs up to Grohmann! Goethe Haus just moved in "next door" as well...If you come in for the Lost Arts festival...let me know -- I think I'll be making a visit to that one!!! (wonder if I know who the spinner is...that would be cool...)

-va- said...

I could NOT resist a jab...I know you would have called if we could have gotten it together! So in Oktober is the Lost Arts Festival...dont know the date/time though - only heard about it in passing. Guess we will have to check that out, eh?!?
...and the art -- G. Münter is my FAVE!!! There may be more upcoming on thoughts about her...
Cheers my friend!!!
(my "word varification" is CARDI -- HAAAAA!!!!)