Sunday, March 25, 2007

Opening Day

Welcome to my blog!

I'm taking the plunge after being a lurker for such a long time. I'm not confident about my technical capabilities, but I figure, if I can knit a shawl, I can do this. (The shawl was Violets By The River, for those keeping track of these things.)

This blog is a bit of a secret at this point in time. I haven't told DH (Dear Husband) because he usually cannot keep a secret - his family, co-workers, relatives, and friends would know by the end of the week. Sorry, honey - but it's true. Also, the muggles in the family on both sides have a hard enough time understanding the knitting obsession...as do the muggles at work. So, for now, this is for me and my knitting friends.

I first learned to knit in 2002 after moving to a new city. As a knitting neophyte, I had no idea that I had moved to an area that had at least 6 LYS within a 20 minute drive, not to mention even more shops and a woolen mill within an hour drive. I also had no idea what incredible gift had been handed to me when my talented mother, who used to knit but has become a quilter, gave me her hardcover copy of Barbara Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" complete with the original jacket cover, copyright 1968. I'll wait while you regain your composure.

I've met wonderful people and made so many friends through knitting. There have been many enablers and pushers - admitedly, they didn't have to push too hard. Should yarn come with a warning label about its addictive properties? I'm not kidding you when I tell you that my "stash closet" IS a closet. I mean a LARGE closet...OK, it's a LARGE WALK-IN closet...filled from floor to near ceiling with bins. I'm the Mae West of kniting - I've never met a yarn I didn't like. And until I joined a local knitting guild, I assumed I was the only person suffering from this particular illness/obsession/whatever you call it. I can't tell you what a relief it was to find out I do not need to seek professional help (for the knitting, people, for the knitting!). All I need are more patterns and books! Ahem. Just kidding, honey!

First a stash, now a blog. What next?

Obligatory cat picture? OK!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Am I the first to comment? Go, Kate I know this blog will be great reading. Those of you who are familiar with Kate's chronicles or the emails she used to send her knitting camp buddies, will join me in wishing her well. I look forward to keeping up with you and your stash.