Saturday, April 21, 2007

DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!

Ya'll need to sit down before reading this...

because what follows is proof positive that I don't just add to the stash - I actually use it at times.

Ta-da!



The first scarf is a pattern from The Little Box of Scarves by Melissa Mathay. It's a very easy pattern. It's reversible so it looks nice from both sides (which is something I look for when making scarves for gifts, especially for men). This was a traveling project - perfect for when I took knitting to places where I couldn't concentrate on a knitting pattern. The yarn is Malabrigo yarn - lovely stuff - so soft you just want to wrap up in it and take a nap. The scarf is quite long - I used 2 skeins and cast on only 25 stitches for a rather narrow scarf.

(By the way - have you seen that Malabrigo has a lace weight? Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, love me that Malabrigo! I'd LOVE to make a sweater, but I've heard that it pills.)

This shows the colors much better - don't mind the unfocused photo.



The second scarf pattern is Wavy from Knitty.



The yarn is Filatura di Crosa 127 Print in Hot Pink. I used either 3 or 4 skeins.



I played hooky for a bit today. I had to travel to the southern part of the state, and as I was only 17 miles away from a fiber fair, well...you know the rest.

I did have to travel into Illinois to get there. (Yikes! get out the rabbit's foot...will angora yarn work? Where are my lucky socks? Did I throw salt over my shoulder? Can I drive with my fingers crossed? ) But the knitting gods were kind - all of my car windows worked and I managed to avoid the frickin' tolls - but only because I traveled on state highways and county roads.





You'll be shocked to know that I came away with NO YARN. Yes, you read that right. No yarn.



OK, I admit, there was not much yarn for sale - a bit of handspun, some sock yarn, but most of the vendors had items for spinning. And no, no, no, no, no, no, no! My wallet and I are not being sucked into that black hole, thank you very much. I know you're all saying "famous last words," but I really do not want to skip down that fiber path. I can't fit anymore fiber into my house. And I don't think DH will want to move solely for the sake of the stash.

I did make a small purchase. C'mon now...did you really think I could come away with nothing? I bought a Fiber Trends lace scarf pattern and 2 Addi Turbos that I needed.

Cedarville is the birthplace of Jane Addams. Click on her name and read about an incredible woman. Think she was a knitter?

4 comments:

Thorny said...

Ooh, what stitch pattern did you use for the Malabrigo scarf? It's lovely!

And I love the Wavy scarf as well. I did one a while back in a nice blue Cascade 220, and aside from always having to keep track of what row I was on, it was a terrific pattern. I loved how genius-y it always seemed!

P.S. I touched some of that Malabrigo lace weight for about 4 seconds last night, and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since. NOT a good sign! grin.

Beelzebub said...

Cheers for your comment on my blog: yours is great! I will check my diary first week in July & get back to you :-)

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I was at that Fiber Festival or whatever they called it in Centerville yesterday too. Since it was hard to miss anyone I guess you must have been there after me. Sorry I missed you.
Sue B.(from camp)

Anonymous said...

There was not much yarn because we bought it all before you got there.