Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Prague



After leaving Ste. Foy de la Grande, we traveled back to Paris, meandered to the airport and flew to Prague, arriving late in the evening. The owners of the B&B we stayed at were incredibly helpful and kind – with lots of advice on getting around the city, the most worthwhile sights to see, and good restaurant recommendations. We happened to be visiting during Prague Spring – an international music festival – and were lucky enough to be given free tickets to an organ concert held at St. Nikolaus Church.



After the concert we strolled through Old Town and watched as the town clock struck the hour – a must-see for the tourists.



The following day we toured the Strahov Monastery’s Library. (Yes, one would think from the previous post that I'd had my fill of monasteries on this trip, but apparently not.) One of my favorite pictures is of a part of the library which contains the banned books. (Hint: click on the picture, then look closely at the middle of the room towards the ceiling at the two “doors” outlined in gold.) I'm not sure what exactly a monk needed to do in order to get permission to view any of the banned books kept here.



The main hallways of the library are filled with specimens. DH was fascinated with the dodo bird.



At the Prague Castle, we toured St. Vitus Cathedral





and the Old Palace. They used to hold jousts in this room for the amusement of the ladies of the court. In fact, they built the doorways high enough so that the knight and his horse could ride into the room.



On our third day, touring the Jewish quarter was a somber experience.



We also went to the site of the original castle in Prague, called Vysehrad, which is now a lovely park overlooking the city.

Everywhere you go, there is beauty to be found, from buildings



to bridges



to cemeteries.





I didn’t find yarn in Prague – but then I wasn’t looking very hard. I was trying to avoid making this a fibre tour while DH was with me – the fibre tour comes later on…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your trip sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing so much. It's just beautiful. As to the pictures of yarn? I just tell my husband I'm practicing with the camera.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your update in "Where in the World is Kate"? tour. It probably is best to lay low while hubby is there just making the anticipation grow along with the intrigue for your readers.

Sue