Tuesday, August 7, 2007

We interrupt this summer travelogue for a little knitting

Yes, children, knitting still happens at the Stash Haus. I've only been able to knit for about an hour a night - if at all.

I'm still knitting the Landscape Shawl. The top is now about 270-some stitches across. From tip to top is measures about three feet. The shawl ends with about 370-some stitches. I'm hoping it will measure close to 5 feet from top to bottom when finished. This was the best photo of the bunch, which isn't saying much.



This was great knitting on the trains in Europe as the pattern is so easy to memorize. At that point it was about 10 inches from top to bottom. Remember this?



Another project is the mystery stole.



The yarn is Fiddlesticks Knitting Zephyr Wool-Silk. The color is pretty true - a nice purple. This is the first time I've ever joined a knit-a-long. The Knitting Curmudgeon is right about knit lists. After skimming the subject line of a few of the emails, I've ignored all the emails from this knit-a-long. I had to set up a yahoo account to be part of the list - so that's one email address I never use that will just languish beneath the weight of the 5,000-some emails from the listers.

I was - and still am - intrigued about the idea of knitting a pattern in segments not knowing what the end result would be so I haven't looked at the pictures people have posted, either. Obviously, I'm going at my own pace. While I'm an extraordinarily slow knitter, this is one project that is taking even longer because it can't be worked on when there are any other distractions. Plus, by 11 p.m. or midnight, I just want a simple hour of knitting before going to bed - so the Landscape Shawl has been getting all the attention lately.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked for you at the Stitches Market today but guess you were not there. I did run into some knitters from the Madison Guild but they did not know you which was surprising in one way and not in another since you have hundreds of members. It was typical stitches and some of the vendors from other years were not to be found.

stash haus said...

Hey kids, I'm heading to Stitches on Sunday - I'm going to try to sit for Franklin's 1000 knitters. I'll let you know how it goes.

Brenda said...

Lovely colors in your Landscape Shawl! I knit it last winter in a fingering weight yarn, and after blocking it was about 6 feet across the top.

Anonymous said...

Now I remember who planted the idea in my head of knitting a Landscape shawl !

Pattern has been found now all I need to do is finish the other shawls on the needles and find some yarn.... I may be gone for some time!

mehitabel said...

I joined the Mystery Shawl 3 list, and the sheer numbers and inanity of the majority of messages drove me to "special notices only." I highly recommend that tactic! You can also have the messages sent to any email address of your choosing, doesn't have to be the Yahoo one, and so far it's only been one or two a week which is just fine. My MS3 is in serious Time Out for misbehaving--couldn't have been my attention wandering, could it?--and there's no telling if and when it will ever get done.