I've started my first sock. Notice I'm not committing myself to a pair - but I am optimistic. The yarn is Mountain Colors Bearfoot. Even though the colors are dark they have an iridescent quality to them.
It may not be immediately apparent but progress has been made. I am worried about the sock not turning out as long as I'd like. The way it fits now I'll only have about 4 inches of ribbing before starting the heel. I cast on for the men's size - but as I have legs like tree trunks I may have do some actual math for the next pair and gradually increase as I knit up from the heel. Egads.
I'm trying cuff down. If I finish this pair I plan to try toe up. It's been easy to try them on as I go. In fact, trying them on occasionally has proven to be an incentive for me to keep knitting. I know other knitters have complained about the holes when knitting the heel. I'm using the Simple Sock pattern in Cat Bordhi's book on knitting socks with 2 circular needles. Anyone have any tips or favorite socks patterns?
Fortunately, I'm at the "knit inches and inches of ribbing" part as the pattern has been unaccessible recently.
I've also been working on the second Estonian Lullaby baby blanket.
Last night I ripped this out.
I like the pattern, love the yarn, but wasn't happy with the resulting fabric. In the meantime, I started another scarf out of this alpaca. I need a soft fiber project I can work on in between the socks and the baby blanket. The unyielding property of the cotton for the baby blanket is hard on my hands and the socks don't offer any break either due the the gauge and small needles.
Also in the Haus the cold temperatures have forced our four legged companions to seek the warmth of a burrowed nest in a flannel quilt.
3 comments:
Hey, Kate, check out Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair. She has a great pattern for cat furniture.
That's a lovely shade of Mountain Colours Bearfoot - I'm sure the socks will be very comfy.
Thanks for popping over and suggesting the Jeannie shawl for my handspun. It's definitely on my shortlist!
Go sock knitter! I think I'm already addicted...
Post a Comment