Sunday, December 28, 2008

Warm Ewe Up Question #1


The women in my family have always been interested in crafts. My grandmother knitted, crocheted, made Christmas ornaments, did counted cross stitch. My mom sews (used to do it professionally), used to embroider, do macrame, knit, and now she makes beaded ornaments and also quilts. She pieces by machine but the rest by hand - her quilt tops have 200,000+ hand stitches in them.

My mom tried to teach me to sew - I think I was about 12. My failure to learn was due, I think, to a teen-itis (how she tolerated all that eye rolling and drama, I don't know) combined with my typical lack of patience. I always wanted to do well and right away. When I started piano lessons at age 6, I was extremely disappointed to find out I would not play as well as my older sister (who had probably 8 years of lessons by that time) after my first lesson.

The craft/hobby store was one of my favorite stops as a kid - trying my hand at painting, macrame, weaving (remember the potholder loom?), etc. I stuck the longest with counted cross stitch - started when I was about 10 and still do projects (but not nearly as much since learning to knit).

I learned to knit in 2002 in order to meet people after moving to a new city to be with DH. Who could imagine where knitting would lead me? I now have friends not just locally but around the world - all of whom I met because of knitting. This blog was started because of knitting. I've been able to share the wealth in swaps. I've been privileged to enable beginners.

And to think this all started with one little knitting class.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Please stick to safe hobbies like knitting. You could do real damage if you took to tight rope walking or sword swallowing with the way you tend to get into things. I can also think of a few more you should avoid.