Monday, March 2, 2009

This and That

Girasole

is on the last long lap. Yes, I'm finally on the knitted edging. I'm a bit disappointed - not with the pattern, but with the size. I was hoping for a larger finished project. We'll see what a severe blocking will do to it. If I ever do this pattern again (and yes, I'm tempted to) I would do it with a much bulkier yarn than Cascade 220 - maybe Ecological Wool. (Click on the photos to see the detail.)




Warm Ewe Up Swap Question #5
What knitting pattern have you worked that you could see yourself making over and over and never get tired of?

Heck - my problem is losing interest on it while I'm knitting it! I've got more WIPS than I can shake a knitting needle at. Some patterns I've made over and over because it's a pattern that lends itself to group knitting or knitting while visiting with others. (Translation - it must be a VERY simple pattern.) So, I've made a number of Farrow Rib scarves and given away most as gifts. It's a very simple pattern that I've got memorized - and there's never much frogging because one only has to count up to three.

I've also made a couple of Noro Striped scarves - mainly because I love the color changes. Now I'm trying yarn other than Noro. We'll see how that works out. I'm sure I'll make more of these - they're good looking scarves and are great for gifts especially for the older nieces and nephews.

As I previously said, I'm tempted to make Girasole again - but I may also find a different afghan pattern I like better.

But will I still be knitting these patterns in 1 year or 5 years? I don't know. Between all the books, magazines, blogs, self-published patterns, online mags, etc., I can't imagine ever coming across a pattern I'd like to do over and over and over again the rest of my knitting life. There's too much variety out there and too many things I'd like to make.

The only exception I can think of may be a "vanilla" pattern for socks for the same reason I currently always have a Farrow Rib scarf on the needles. Because it would be a simple pattern that I've memorized which makes it the perfect visiting/waiting/on-the-go knitting project. And, unlike scarves, one can never have too many socks.

Now I just need to sit down and learn to make 'em!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Your Girasole looks wonderful. I, too, am tempted to make another one. It was so easy to knit once you got going, I lurved it, but your pink colorway is tempting me!

Anonymous said...

the shawl is LOVELY -- only knitting a few years, eh??? ...hmmm I think there was a natural knitter there all the time -- just had to coax her out (like a whap on the head with a two by four from what I understand!)
I'm guessing that with a good block you will have a pretty good sized wrap! It is amazing what that step will do for a good project -- it turns to FANTABULOUS!
Cheers!
-va-