Sunday, October 4, 2009

October? Already?

It's hard to believe September has come and gone.

There's been some knitting going on in the Haus, but before I get to it, I need to send a shout out to my Secret Pal, Shannon.

She sent along some Kidsilk Haze, which I've always wanted to try but haven't (yet), along with gorgeous beads, beading needle, a pattern for a beaded scarf, a Lily Allen CD, cool mints, some chai tea mix, and delectable caramels with sea salt in them (which are not pictured because I accidently erased the first picture taken awhile ago, and, well, pictures of empty wrappers just won't do).



Thanks, Shannon! You really spoiled me but good during this Secret Pal round!

So my first foray into felting was not as successful as I'd like.

Remember this?



It's now this. I can't believe how many inches were lost in the felting process. And the curving cables do not show up well in regular light.



I'd like to try this again, but using a yarn that does not have mohair in it. I think that works against the cables showing up after felting.

This was a handbag made from a Noro brand that I can't remember offhand. I like how it felted, but again, for myself I'd like a bigger, deeper bag. Now to find some handles for this. The handles I originally bought just don't work with how small the bag turned out after felting.


I had frogged this yarn at least four times - never happy with my chosen pattern. I think I finally found a pattern that shows the color of the yarn. This is Misti Chunky Ribs & Ruffles Scarf. I used 2 skeins, as I like my scarves very long so they can be wrapped more than once around the neck.


This shows a more true picture of the colors.


With this project I'm able to feel a bit virtuous - it's from stash and, with being frogged a number of times, it's finally out of the WIPs bin.

This virtuous feeling won't last long, however, with Yarn Con right around the corner.

1 comment:

Meg said...

On your felted bag there are two thing you can try. One is to needle felt right up against the cables so the fabric is "flatter" and that makes the cables"pop" or you can needles felt the next shade darker around the cable contours to give them the illusion of depth. I would hate to see such a pretty bag go to waste. Good luck!