Sunday, February 8, 2009

Warm Ewe Up Bi-Weekly Blog Question #4

What are your plans for Valentine's Day this year?

Even though the 14th falls on a Saturday this year, we have no fixed plans. I imagine it will be one of three scenarios: (1) either I or both of us may be working; (2) perhaps we'll go to the movies; or (3) have dinner and movies at home.

We've never been ones to celebrate February 14th. I really hate how everything is more expensive. (The same can be said for New Year's Eve.) I don't see the point for DH to pay $50 for a dozen roses that 2 weeks earlier cost $10. I also don't see the point (especially in this economy) of heading out to an over-crowded restaurant where the kitchen and wait staff are overloaded and mediocrity is nearly assured.

There's also something in me that balks at the idea that others/tradition can dictate that I must be romantic on a specific day of the year. To me, Valentine's Day is any other day when DH brings home flowers for no reason - or does some other unexpected romantic act.

Last of the great romantics, aren't we?

3 comments:

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

I'm so with you. Last night we went out to dinner using a little unexpected cash windfall. Afterward my husband said we should have waited a week or so and used it for a v-day dinner. I told him that we could count that one as celebratory and not battle the crowds or spend more on the 14th. He's going to be working all day and I'll be spinning at a friend's house that day anyway.

I'll bet Hallmark hates us. :)

NJ said...

I totally agree. I think it's probably one of the worst times to go out for dinner. I'd much rather do something else than go for dinner on valentines.

Joan said...

We learned our lesson the one year we did go out for a romantic meal on "that special day"-- we returned to a very nice (and reasonably priced) restaurant we'd discovered to find... one set menu available, with a hefty price tag (apparently the norm for special occasions in France), and more tables crammed into the small and intimate venue than we'd remembered. We felt like schoolkids crammed into the cafeteria for lunch, all being served the same thing at the same time. Romantic? Hardly. The feeling of having been taken for a ride? Yup.