Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.
My typical crafting times are late in the evenings before bed, on weekends wherever I can fit it in, at the laundromat, at knitting groups around the area (although I don't get to them as frequently as I'd like), at the regular Late Night Knitting at a LYS, and in the car providing that it's highway driving (DH's stopping and starting get me carsick faster than you can say, "pull over, I need to get out NOW") and that I've take Bonine. On our trip out to Montana last December, I used the Knit Light, which worked well. My only caveat is next time I will plan ahead and have a project with lighter colored yarn to work on once it gets dark and I need to use the light to knit. Note to self: Delicate lace projects may not be the best knitting on bumpy roads.
If I'm at home, either the TV is on, or else I'm watching movies on my computer, or listening to podcasts on my computer while knitting. I've got so many podcasts to catch up with that I haven't begun to listen to audiobooks.
I also have knitting projects for both solitary knitting and "company" knitting. Company knitting requires relatively simple patterns that I'm unlikely to mess up when my attention is divided between conversation with one (or several) people and, when I inevitably mess up the pattern, it has to be pretty easy to tink back. I would never work on Summer in Kansas while out with a knitting group. It took me over an hour yesterday to do 10 freakin' rows (with only 17 stitches per row!) because I kept messing up. While it would have passed the galloping horse test, I just couldn't ignore the mistakes.
As for snacks, there is always a Diet Coke by my side. I may, or may not, have chocolate; the hotter the weather, the less likely I am due to the melting. I don't snack while I knit - now while I read, that's a whole other story. Snacking and knitting aren't compatible activities in the Haus. I don't want to have to keep getting up to wash my hands and I don't want to get any crumbs from the Toes family of snacks (you know, Cheetos, Doritos, Tostitos) or salt and oil from chips in my wool. In fact, I try to use my knitting as a way to avoid snacking in the evenings. I've been pretty good about not having snacks in the Haus - but when they are, they're not near the knitting.
My favorite place to knit? Overseas, on a train, headed to somewhere I've never been before.
Oh, what joy!
1 comment:
...smiling!
Post a Comment