Friday, March 7, 2008

Breaking With Tradition

There is a strong tradition where I live - fish fries on Friday nights. Thanks to the Associated Press even Hawaiians have read about our tradition. It is apparently the stuff of folklore. Unfortunately for me, but on a positive note for my arteries, DH dislikes seafood of any kind so we rarely indulge in this tradition.

I was on the road today, stopping for lunch at a mom and pop cafe. This is the kind of restaurant found in any small town large enough to have a restaurant. The decor was Midwestern Grandmother, circa 1973 - lots of knicknacks, wood paneling, and plastic/silk flowers and plants. It's the kind of place where the waitresses know every customer (except me) and most of the customers know each other. The kind of place where you read the local paper to see who was arrested for drunk driving, who's celebrating wedding anniversaries or the arrival of a child, but come here for the REAL news of the town. The special today was fish - beer battered alaskan pollack, cod, or perch. The salad bar included with the special is also a midwestern tradition - iceberg lettuce (no greens or spinach!) croutons, fake bacon bits, carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes strip mined in Texas because we won't see local garden-fresh tomatoes until July. If I hadn't been such an oddity on display for the locals (stranger in our midst!), I'd have taken pictures.

Breaking with tradition, I didn't order the special - much to the waitress's disappointment, I think. I'd already indulged in deep-fried goodness last week (see prior post on cheese curds) - gotta give the ol' arteries a chance to unclog before Knitting Camp.

One Stash Haus tradition I did follow was to start a new project even though I have PLENTY of wips to keep me busy for a month of Sundays. Work has been particularly rough this past week and once at home, I've felt that anything other than garter stitch is too taxing. To keep me from falling into an abyss of knitting boredom, I started the EZ Baby Suprise Jacket. This had been the perfect project - mindless enough after a long, difficult day, yet interesting enough to keep my attention and thus keep it from becoming another wip.

Tomorrow is the local guild's Knit In - the only drawback being that I have to get up at 7 a.m. on a day I normally like to sleep in. Oh, the sacrifices we make for knitting. Stay tuned for a full Knit In report.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they have coffee at the Knit In! I'm having my own personal knit in here at home today. Central Ohio is completely shut down. Schools, offices, airports, churches, even ice rinks are closed. Because...we have six inches of snow on the ground. No ice, no wind, just snow. I hope you didn't hurt yourself laughing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, WHIO in Dayton was broadcasting all weather, all the time for a couple hours this morning. They showed the snow drifted out someone's back door to all of eight inches! They even showed the ruler measuring the 8"--if they hadn't who in the world would have believed it?

They would switch occasionally to the poor b*****d stuck out with the cameraman and the van by the junction of interstates 70 and 75 so he could confirm that, indeed, yes, the interstates were...wait for it...EMPTY!

Pray for us, friends.

Probably Jane said...

Oh no, you've just reminded me of how much I love the good old British tradition of fish, chips and mushy peas!

I admire your self control.