Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Happy Belated Blogiversary!

First off, I've missed my blogiversary. Looking back, I see that March 25, 2007 was the first post. I've been thinking about how to celebrate this auspicious occasion. I want to do some type of contest but, frankly, I'm too lazy to go around my house, find all my WIPs, or all my needles in order to have an accurate count for any "guess how many I've got" contest.

Instead, we shall do this - my father celebrated his birthday on the 20th. Leave a comment with your guess as to his age - closest guess wins some gorgeous yarn from the famous stash. Deadline for leaving the comment is this Sunday, March 30th, by 10 p.m. US Central time.

Speaking of yarn, I toured more LYS in Illinois recently. I headed to Chicago, stopping here.



This is a VERY small shop located near the Drake Hotel. In addition to yarn they also carry needlework supplies. It was not my favorite place I've visited so far because I really dislike yarn being in bags on the shelf. I realize it keeps the yarn clean and the skeins intact, especially for slicker fibers, but I really hate trying to see the skein through the plastic. If you go, check out the bargain bin near the door.

After checking out some local restaurants, I headed back towards the border, stopping in East Dundee at the Fishbed Knitting Emporium.


From the name, I was expecting maybe a gas station/post/office/grocery/bait shop (scroll down and see The Chequanmegon Junction or Deb's Y-Go-By Bar & Bait) with a few skeins of yarn in the corner.

Boy, was I wrong...not a lure in sight...but I was immediately hooked. Look at all this.





The Emporium carries Cascade, Misty Alpaca, Noro, Debbie Bliss, and much, much more. This place is definitely worth a stop if you are ANYWHERE near the area.

The last stop was the Fine Line Creative Arts Center in St. Charles, IL. This location is also worth a visit if you're in the area.






In addition to yarn and looms, they sell handcrafted jewelry and pottery. They offer classes in textiles, pottery, metal and glass. It's a beautiful location on a nature preserve which is slowly being surrounded by suburbia.

The EZ Baby Surprise Jacket is off the needles but the seams are not yet sewn. Photos to come - along with proof positive that spring is on the way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary, indeed! Thanks for a year of great entertainment!

Joan said...

What? No clues? 75?

Anonymous said...

I guess 72 for the age, no reason. I love Fishbed and the owner is so very nice. There is another yarn store around the corner from there called the Gifted Purl. Not as good but in the area. Thanks for the blog hard to believe it has been a year.

Angie said...

I am new to your blog, but am enjoying it immensely. I guess that your dad is... 67. Just did a yarn crawl in Chicago last Tuesday, hit Arcadia, Knitwerks and Loopy in chicago and also Knitsche in Downers Grove. It was a great day, not so great for my checkbook...

ikkinlala said...

Happy blogiversary!

Your dad shares a birthday with me! I'm pretty sure he's much older than I am, though, so I'm going to guess that he's 75.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great trip. Happy Anniversary, and a happy birthday to your Dad. I'm guessing his 70th?