Last week's Guild Knit In. The speaker was the person who The Knitting Curmudgeon refers to as the Tiny Diva - L*ly Ch*n.
While I respect KC's opinion, I wanted to see and judge for myself. Unfortunately, I must concur with KC. The topic of her speech was finding inspiration and translating the inspiration to your knitting. She showed her patterns and the sources of inspiration for those patterns. It did not impress me that most of her choices were for garments knitted in the early to mid-90's, 10-15 years old and looking VERY dated.
The other thing that did not impress me was her claim that one size fits all. As a plus size woman myself, I feel I have experience enough to comment on this claim. Puh-lease! Not even hats or mittens are one size fits all, much less a sweater or coat. She had on a jacket she claimed was such a garment. Now, it looked very good on her - and probably would on women up to a couple sizes bigger than she - but it did not look good on the plus size guild member who tried it on. It did not have the same drape and did not meet around the hips like it did on the Tiny Diva. Did you ever read magazines that had fashion dos and don'ts where they would take candid shots of women on the street - with black boxes over the eye area of those women whose choice of what to wear that morning turned them into a Fashion Don't? This jacket on a plus size woman is a Don't.
I had no regrets missing the monthly guild meeting this last Monday, as the Tiny Diva was the speaker. Once was enough for me.
Now, to me, the biggest name at the Knit In was sitting, unobtrusively, in a corner of the market area. Oh. My God. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was the Grand Dame of Lace, Hazel Carter!
These are all from her lace projects.
Oh, all the lace projects I have plans for - so many projects, so much yarn, so little time!
A new project on the needles is a Baby Surprise Jacket.
I hate to admit it, but I needed this to guide me through some of EZ's instructions.
The yarn is Ella Rae Palermo. Looks good enough to eat, doesn't it?
1 comment:
You met Hazel Carter? Oh, now I'm jealous. I have a number of her patterns in the stash, just waiting for the right yarn to present itself.
Martha and I had a nice afternoon together in Columbus on Saturday--once I got there, an hour late. Yep, I managed to get lost. In the Midwest. I'm so embarrassed.
We went to The Merc, where I confirmed I have champagne taste. I was looking for yarn for a scarf from the new Knitty and found just the thing: Alchemy Bamboo. I did the math, and it would set me back a cool $140.
Post a Comment