It seems to be conventional wisdom that women tend to put others before themselves. The result is that we don't take care of ourselves like we should.
I don't know about overseas, but for some time here in the US, there has been a campaign by the American Heart Association to make women aware of heart disease because it is the number one cause of death among women - one woman per minute. Part of the reason that women are unaware they are having a heart-related health problem is that heart attack symptoms in women are often mistaken for minor ailments that women ignore or think they can deal with later.
I don't know about you, but this is my usual M.O. There I am, *someplace where I absolutely cannot make a call, and I think, "I really need to call my doctor/eye doctor/dentist. I need to do this when I get back to my office." I get back to my office, but do I remember to make the call? No. Because there are eleventy-billions things to do before the end of the day/week/whatever upcoming deadline. Then, I'll get home and realize that I didn't call to set up an appointment.* Repeat from * to *. Then a week goes by, then a month, then I'm asking myself, "What year was my last exam?"
So as a way to start changing with how I tend to myself, I'm starting For Me Fridays. I'm using my lunch hour on Fridays (which tend to be relatively sane compared to my calendar for the rest of the week) to make the appointments.
Annual exam with my doctor - check. Annual eye exam - check. Now I need to schedule a dental appointment.
Too bad knitting doesn't drown out the sound of a dental drill.
Friday, November 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment