Saturday, January 31, 2009

Warm Ewe Up Bi-Weekly Blog Question #3

What is your favorite way to keep warm when it's snowing outside?

I've enjoyed reading the responses of the other swap participants. They talk about the baking they would do, the making of homemade soup. As I read them, I'm picturing Martha Stewart-type perfection and organization - which is a good thing.

Just not what one would find here at the Haus.

My favorite kind of day is an adult snow day - one where the snow comes on a workday - and is large enough of a storm that I am forced by road conditions to stay at home. It's a Pajama Day where no work is done - neither professional work nor housework. The cell phone is ignored as much as possible. If nothing more interesting has been recorded on TV and we're between Netflix deliveries, then the BBC Pride and Prejudice DVDs are watched. (Oh, Colin Firth - how I do love your Mr. Darcy!)

If I'm feeling domestic, oatmeal is made for breakfast or lunch or dinner (I can't be the only one who likes to eat breakfast items for other meals) - and not the instant kind. And, of course, one must have walnuts and cinnamon thrown into the oatmeal.

Any baking that happens around here comes after the tube of Pillsbury dough is popped open or a can of soup is heated up. If I'm feeling particularly adventurous a comfort food casserole gets made. Ah, Tater Tot Casserole - nectar of the northern gods. All comfort food recipes must include inordinate amounts of carbohydrates and some type of cream soup, preferably cream of mushroom. The cooking of any casserole assumes, however, that one has all ingredients on hand. (In pajamas all day, no showering, etc., means no venturing out to the grocery store.)

Of course, the cats take turns napping in my lap and I'm able to knit so much that my fingers are sore the next day.

I love Adult Snow Days.

But the best way to keep warm? Don't go outside.

1 comment:

Ginger Lucy said...

We're having that today, but sadly I still have to log in to the office servers and work :-(